Sunday, November 7, 2010

What a great weekend at CrossFit Taranis

Let me begin by thanking our host. Reid, Dan and Chris Schaalo ran a first class competition this weekend. They really couldn't have done anything better, both on Saturday and Sunday. The event really had the feel of a CrossFit Games qualifier as pretty much every top level individual athlete in this province took place.

As a coach I couldn't have been happier with the effort put forward by all our athletes. Our individual athletes were Ains, Robyn, Romayne,Annie, Hattie, Solo, Scott, Garth and Geoff. While all of them did the gym and themselves proud, I would like to single out Geoff and how great he did in his first CrossFit Competition. Geoff hit a 40 pound PB on the squat clean and finished in the top ten and won his heat on the skipping, squat run amrap. He then also came back and layed it on the line on Sunday in the team comp. There are many great stories of this weekend and I would love those who were with us to leave a comment on this with some.

Thank you Jenny, Micsh, Chelan, Amanda, Annie, Cassidy and Nick B who came to cheer on Team Lions this weekend. You girls were amazing....you to Nick.

We started out the team competition this morning with two of our teams having to go up against each other. Solo,geoff, robyn and roe roe took down myself, knighrider, bb guns and Hattie. Two workouts later my team then had to go against Ains, nick, annie and scott and we lost to them also. Two of our teams went 2-2 and one went 3-2. Not sure where we actually finished but we had a hell of a good time. It should also be noted that we were pretty much always going up against gyms that sent only one team, yet our little gym took 3 competitive teams over to the comp.

I would suggest to every athlete that competed this weekend that we get together and go over how you felt you did and were we think there might be room for improvement. I am happy to do that with all of you any time you would like. Its important to use events like this as an information source to help us improve.

Anybody with photos from this weekend please send to me or bring them into the gym. That would be much appreciated. Thx. 

Now since non of the individual athletes will be training tomorrow, its a great opportunity to do some of the fun workouts they did on Saturday.

Monday WOD:

WOD1:
3 rounds for time:
15 wallballs
10 burpees
* You must catch and control the wallball to the ground. Burpee standard; you have to clap your hands above your head with full hip extension and looking straight ahead.

WOD2:
Rounds in 20min:
20 backwards skips
20 squats
20 double unders
200m run

10 comments:

  1. What a great weekend! I am sooooo proud of all of our Crossfit Lions. Chris, Bianca, Ains, Robyn, Roe, Annie, Hattie, Solo, Scott, Garth, Geoff, Nick, & Knight. You were all so inspirational! You all make me want to work out so hard so I can be more like all of you amazing athletes!

    Great Job Lions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to all the athletes who competed this weekend!! You guys were truly inspirational to watch! Hopefully I will be ready to be part of the team WOD next year...time for me to step up my training!! Go Lions!
    misch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone enjoy the wods! Personally the backward skipping and double unders was my fave! Shaalo I cannot thank you enough! wink wink!

    No all kidding aside, I had the best weekend. Shaalo and the gang at Taranis a huge thank you for putting together the best event! I will be looking forward to 2011 all year.

    Coach Chris and Chelan, thank you so much for being such good support to all of your athletes and coming up for the weekend. I am happy with my PR on the pullups and squat cleans and definitively realize I must improve on my lungs capacity.

    Team NASS-T, best teammates ever! Especially that cute Asian boy. Loved competing w you all. I will work on my nerves with ropes and heights before our next challenge. ;)

    Everyone it was amazing to share this weekend with you all. Every single one of you.

    But Scott and I really want to send special shout outs to everyone who help make this weekend amazing for Olivia! She had the best time, actually cried on the way home because she didn't want the fun to end. At times Scott and I had no idea where she was, but we always knew she was safe with a loved one and not missing us one bit!

    Annie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge congrats to everyone this weekend. The level of athlete at the event was even better then the BC sectional this year. Don't know how some of you threw down both days as I could barely function on Sunday. (Nick and I might've had a few road pops on the way home:)

    On another note, Nick & I are hosting an open house at our place this Xmas Eve!

    Keep on keep'n on!
    SBunches

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that could be trouble...

    Annie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. From a spectator point of view I thought it was a pretty damn good weekend.

    I thought the event was super well organised. Actually I was VERY impressed by everything. Coffee was delicious and the company couldn't have been any better. And of course watching everyone compete was a lot of fun. Very stressful as I wanted everyone to do well and feel good about themselves. Not sure why but I was exhausted last night...

    I will be there next year to support you all again. Counting the days! :-)

    (the other) Annie

    P.S. Not sure who chose the colors for Geoff's team but I love the blue shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great weekend!! I love watching y'all compete, will definitely be there next year. After doing two of the workouts tonight, I have no idea how you did two days worth!! You all inspire me (especially you girls)...

    The event was organized super well, great facility, great volunteers, great coffee and great company!!

    Looking forward to the ferry buffet again ;)

    I took lots of action shots, will post to FB soon!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who wants to hit up the Montana Winter Challenge on Jan 15/10? Think about it, only a 10 hour drive

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've gotta say, I was more than a little nervous heading into this weekend especially knowing the level of competition that was going to be there. I figured I'd do my best and hopefully not come in last. Who knew that all that backward skipping that I do messing around in warm ups would pay off?

    I was especially worried about the team comp since Ant's are some big shoes to fill but with such great teammates and the support of the Lions cheer squad that all went away and we just had fun with it.

    Speaking of the cheer squad, you guys almost made each lap of the skipping workout worth it... almost. Chris, your coaching on the clean really helped me calm down and concentrate on moving that damn barbell. Reading the blogs of all the other gyms everyone seems to be saying that their group is the best but they've got it all wrong, ours is. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the props guys, all we want to do with our event is bring together a bunch of kick ass people who like to kick their own asses everyday in the gym!

    You guys all rocked this year and performed wonderfully! Annie I am truly sorry about all the skipping, however you handled it beautifully. Although Team NAASTY had the best name, I think our Team Goliaths had the best unis!

    See you guys around

    ReplyDelete